The delivery address is the most important information on your mail piece. Use the following format for delivery addresses in both USA and Canada:
|Attention line (optional):||ATTN: PASTOR|
|Recipient line:||[JANE L MILLER] or [ROCK SOLID SDA CHURCH]|
|Optional line:||[STE 300] or [C/O JOHN DOE]|
|Delivery address:||1960 W CHELSEA AVE STE 2006|
|City, state/prov, postal code:||ALLENTOWN PA 18104|
Automated mail processing machines read addresses from the bottom up and will first look for a city, state or province and postal code. Next, the machines will look for a delivery address. If the machines cannot find either line, your mailpiece could be delayed or misrouted. Any information below the delivery address line (e.g. an attention line) could confuse the machines and misdirect your mail.
Guidelines for Mailpieces
- Eliminate punctuation.
- Use a font size of 10-point or larger.
- One space between "city" and "state/province".
- Two spaces between "state/province" and "postal code".
- Simple fonts (sans serif).
- High-contrast type (black ink on white or light pages).
- USPS - Delivery Address Guide
- Canada Post - Postal Standards Guides